Serving as headquarters for The Georgia Trust, Rhodes Hall has undergone significant restoration.
Rhodes Hall will be closed for all tours on Saturdays, February 17 and 24, due to our event schedule.
- $7 Behind-the-Scenes tour brings visitors to all 3 floors
- $5 per person for a guided tour of the 1st floor
- $1 off of tour price for seniors, students and children age 6-12
- Free admission for Georgia Trust members and children under 6
- Discounted rates available for groups of 10 or more.
- $20 per person for our Lunch and Tour package. Call 404-885-7800 for details.
Saturdays: 10 a.m.–2 p.m.
- Guided Main Floor and Behind-the-Scenes tours are offered on Saturdays from 10 a.m.–2 p.m., with tours starting on the hour. Last tour begins at 1 p.m.
- Open on weekdays to group, school and luncheon tours by appointment
The History of Rhodes Hall
The home is believed to be inspired by Amos and Amanda’s travels through the German Rhineland in the 1890s.
Wired for electricity when it was built, Rhodes Hall is a prime example of Atlanta’s fascination with new technology at the turn of the century. Over 300 light bulbs illuminated the house, producing a blaze of light still uncommon in 1904. The house, a technological marvel in its day, also included electric call buttons in most rooms and a security system.
Following the deaths of Mrs. Rhodes in 1927 and A. G. Rhodes in 1928, their two children, J. D. Rhodes and Mrs. L. O. Bricker, deeded the house and just under an acre of the original estate to the State of Georgia. Included in the deed was a restriction that the property could only be used for “historic purposes.” In 1930 the building opened as the home of the State Archives and functioned as such until a more modern facility was built on Capitol Avenue in 1965. Rhodes Hall continued to serve as the Peachtree Branch of the Archives.
In 1983, The Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation, a non-profit organization, signed a long-term lease for Rhodes Hall with the State of Georgia. Serving as headquarters for The Georgia Trust, Rhodes Hall has undergone significant restoration. The State has funded restoration of the exterior and the building’s mechanical and electrical systems while the Trust has raised private funds for restoration of the interior.
The focal point of the interior restoration was the return of the original mahogany staircase and stained glass windows that had been removed to the State Archives facility on Capitol Avenue. The staircase and windows were reinstalled in Rhodes Hall in 1990.
Rhodes Hall is an outstanding survivor of Peachtree Street’s heyday as Atlanta’s premiere residential thoroughfare. One of the most unique architectural creations in an age known for its eccentricities, Rhodes Hall in many ways defines “la belle époque” in Atlanta.
Amos G. Rhodes situated his castle for maximum visibility on a slight rise at a prominent curve in Peachtree Street. Subsequent development, especially of Rhodes Center in the late 1930’s, lessened the impact of that siting and radically reduced the size of the original estate. However, the imprint of the original landscaping is intact and offers considerable insight into early twentieth century residential landscaping in Atlanta.
The ongoing restoration of this building and its grounds remain a perfect counterpoint to Midtown’s high-rise skyline.
Rhodes Hall is an outstanding survivor of Peachtree Street’s heyday as Atlanta’s premiere residential thoroughfare.